How might Covid-19 (Coronavirus) affect my voyage with MST?
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, we have been forced to suspend the start of our season until mid-June. This has left us with significant losses over the next three months. If we are unable to begin sailing in mid-June, then our losses will continue to mount by around £4500 each month. We have tightened our belts and made as many savings as possible, reducing our costs by around a quarter, but your support is still vital.
This is a difficult time for everyone, but if you can, please consider supporting us and securing the continued future of our work.
Last updated 9th June 2020.
9th June - Until further notice we are reviewing each voyage on a rolling basis, five weeks before the scheduled start date. If you have booked a voyage and paid the deposit, you don't need to pay the balance of your voyage fee until we confirm that the voyage is going ahead or not, which will be around five weeks before the scheduled start date.
If your voyage does not go ahead, then in the first instance you will be able to book an alternative date either in 2020 or 2021. We will honour bookings at the price on booking, even if the voyage fee has increased in 2021.
18th March - all voyage crew booked on voyages until 12th June have now been contacted, if you believe you are booked to sail during this time and have not heard from us then please get in touch.
17th March -
Statement from the Trustees:
Following the change in the government’s advice regarding non-essential social contact and unnecessary travel, the Trustees of the Morning Star Trust have taken the difficult decision to suspend our sail training operations, effective immediately (17th March 2020).
Our priority is always the safety of our voyage crew and sea staff, and it is for this reason that we are therefore postponing all voyages until the 12th June 2020.
If you are booked on a voyage during this period, you will be contacted by the office this week. We would ask that you please don’t contact us until Monday 23rd March 2020, to give us a chance to speak to all affected voyage crew.
Please continue to monitor this page, and our social media channels (@mstsailing) for updates.
More information about Covid, self-isolation, and the symptoms to watch for can be found here: 111.nhs.uk/service/COVID-19/
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff in the NHS and other organisations who are working so hard to combat this disease. Our prayers are with all those affected around the world.
There will be lots of people across the country who are trapped in their homes at this time because they are either sick, vulnerable or elderly. We urge you to check in with your neighbours and those in your community, and offer any practical, emotional or spiritual support you can, whilst continuing to protect yourself against the virus.
Will I get my money back?
We appreciate that this is an unprecedented situation for everyone, and in the first instance we are offering all our voyage crew alternative dates to sail with us. Each situation will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
I'm booked to sail after 12th June, will my voyage still be happening?
We will continue to monitor the situation and the government advice. If we have to postpone further voyages we will be in contact with you as soon as possible.
I'll be 25 before 12th June so will no longer be eligible to complete my DofE, what will happen?
We have approached the DofE for their position on this, but are optimistic that they will grant extensions to the limited number of people who will be affected in this way.